The initial selection of coaches is vital if an athletic program is to reflect Christian values. A coach should not be selected purely for her/his knowledge of the sport, but rather as a potential youth minister who will reflect and model the Gospel values that should be incorporated into the athletic program.
All coaches must:
- Demonstrate a consistent Christian ethic on and off the field or court.
- Possess Act 34 Clearance, which is a criminal background check and Act 151, which is a child abuse background check.
- Attend Protect God's Children in-service.
- Attend the Pastoral Code of Conduct in-service and sign-off on the pledge.
- Attend "Play Like Champions" in-service (Head Coaches)
- Complete diocesan accreditation by viewing the coaches' video provided by the diocese.
- Be approved by the pastor and principal.
- Have the necessary knowledge of the sport in order to insure the students have a worthwhile experience.
- Be emotionally stable and responsible.
All above requirements are to be monitored by the parish/school Athletic Director and reported to the DSC. Any lack of compliance will lead to league sanctions imposed by the DSC.
Updated October 7, 2010